Frequently Asked Questions

I feel sick (nausea). What do I do? Who do I call or see?
In the Netherlands the first one to see, when you don’t feel well is a general practitioner (GP). He/she will advise you on what to do, look for the cause and suggest treatments. You need a referral from a general practitioner for medicines, a medical test or to see a specialist in the hospital.


How to find a general practitioner (“Huisarts”)?
TU Delft students please visit ‘SGZ student’ and your student insurance company ‘OOM Verzekeringen’ are working closely together. Upon presentation of your insurance card, which you will receive after you applied for the student insurance, SGZ will send your invoice directly to the insurance company.


It goes without saying you can see a GP of your choice. Perform a Google search: huisarts, streetname, city.
Your search result will list all general practitioners in your area. It is not uncommon the GP will bill you during your visit. It is customary to pay upfront and get reimbursed afterwards by the insurance company. (You can upload your invoice in your “OOM Verzekeringen” account).


Who can I contact in the evening, night or in the weekend? (When the general practitioner is not available).
When you feel sick during your GP’s of duty hours you can call him/she to get the details of an on-duty GP service. In every city there is a GP service website/phone number you can call. During a brief telephone interview the GP service will determine if it is necessary for you to visit the GP service (called huisartsenpost).


For Delft for example: huisartsenpost Delft.
Phone number: 015-2511930
Emergency number: 112


Do I have to change my insurance when I start an internship?
Up to the end of 2018 international students doing a paid internship and receiving more than 150 euros internship pay were legally required to take out a Dutch basic health insurance. This policy has now changed.


As of 1 October 2018, international interns receiving at least the Dutch minimum wage that applies to their specific situation, are considered to be insured under the Dutch Health Insurance Act. This means they are legally required to take out Dutch basic health insurance. If the internship pay is less than this minimum wage, the interns are not allowed to take out a Dutch basic health insurance.


If the latter is the case, they can stay insured with the health insurer in their home country or take out a private international health insurance. Students from the EU/EEA may be eligible to receive a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) which covers their necessary medical costs during their stay. They are advised to check this with the health insurer in their home country before departure.

For the calculation of the minimum wage that applies to a specific situation, please see the following tool (only available in Dutch).


When you have any doubts, please send to us your working contract and we will check it for you.


Do I have to change my insurance when I start working for Flex Delft or have a job besides my study?
When you work for Flex Delft, for example as a teaching assistant, you always have to change to the Dutch basic health insurance. Even when you work only a few hours in the month. The Dutch basic health insurance has to start from the moment your employment contract starts.
Even if you are in a part-time job besides your study, for example when you work in a restaurant or shop, you need to change your insurance.
For more information or help, please send us an email.


How can I cancel the insurance?
Please send us an email with the reason for the cancelation of your insurance.
Please let us know the date you will leave the Netherlands. We will cancel your insurance on the day after you left, so you have coverage on the day you leave.


How can I pass on my bank account number?
You can upload your bank account number in the online environment of OOM Verzekeringen. You need your policy number to do this. You can find your policy number on your insurance card or insurance documents.


What happens if I do not pay the premium (on time)?
The insurance company will inform you that you missed a payment, please check your email spam folder.
Failure to pay the premium after the insurance company informed you about the missing payment will result in suspension of your insurance, resulting in lost coverage for medical costs.


Is International Insurances an insurance company?
International Insurances is powered by Heilbron. Heilbron is an insurance advisor and specialist in health insurances. We offer insurances from OOM, which is an insurance company.