Frequently Asked Questions

What happens after you applied?
After applying for our student insurance you will immediately receive an automatic confirmation by email from International Insurances. If you didn’t receive it, please check your spam folder.

Within 1 week after applying for our student insurance, we will send you an email with further information. In this email we will inform you about your policy number and how you can already create your account with the insurance company OOM Verzekeringen.

On the registration day during the introduction programme, we will give you in person your insurance card.

International Insurances is your insurance advisor. You can contact us by email or by phone 0031 88 12 10 221.

Your insurance company is OOM Verzekeringen.

How to make corrections to your application?
If you made a mistake on the application form, for example the spelling of your name, or something changes, for example the desired starting date, please send us an email. We will adjust your application for you.

How to pay?
You can pay the insurance premium after arriving in the Netherlands. Your insurance will give you coverage from the starting date. When you receive your Dutch bank account number, you can upload this number in your account with the insurance company OOM Verzekeringen.

OOM Verzekeringen will then deduct the premium automatically from your bank account every month.

When you don’t upload your bank account number with the insurance company, you will receive by e-mail a payment link from OOM Verzekeringen. Using this link, you can pay the premium.

What is starting date?
Generally, the day you will leave your country to travel to the Netherlands is the starting date of your insurance. Please select a date on the form. From this day on you will have insurance coverage.

Which address should I enter in the field “Address in the Netherlands”?
When you already know your address in the Netherlands, please fill in this address.
If you don’t know your address yet, please use our address.
Postbus 150
2810 AD Reeuwijk

(You can also find this address on the online form).

Please note, you can’t use an address from outside the Netherlands.


I feel sick (nausea). What do I do? Who do I call or see?
In the Netherlands the first one to see, when you don’t feel well is a general practitioner (GP). He/she will advise you on what to do, look for the cause and suggest treatments. You need a referral from a general practitioner for medicines, a medical test or to see a specialist in the hospital.

In the Netherlands, you can’t go directly to the hospital. In case of a real emergency the emergency number is 112.

Also please see the question “Who can I contact in the evening, night or weekend when the general practitioner is not available?”


How to find a general practitioner (“Huisarts”)?
TU Delft students please visit ‘SGZ student’ and your student insurance company ‘OOM Verzekeringen’ are working closely together. Upon presentation of your insurance card, which you will receive after you applied for the student insurance, SGZ will send your invoice directly to the insurance company.


It goes without saying you can see a GP of your choice. Perform a Google search: huisarts, streetname, city.
Your search result will list all general practitioners in your area. It is not uncommon the GP will bill you during your visit. It is customary to pay upfront and get reimbursed afterwards by the insurance company. (You can upload your invoice in your “OOM Verzekeringen” account).

You can also visit the following website with information about the general practitioners in Delft:


Who can I contact in the evening, night or in the weekend? (When the general practitioner is not available).
When you feel sick during your GP’s of duty hours you can call him/she to get the details of an on-duty GP service. In every city there is a GP service website/phone number you can call. During a brief telephone interview the GP service will determine if it is necessary for you to visit the GP service (called huisartsenpost).


For Delft for example: huisartsenpost Delft.
Phone number: 015-2511930
Emergency number: 112


Do I have to change my insurance when I start an internship?
Up to the end of 2018 international students doing a paid internship and receiving more than 150 euros internship pay were legally required to take out a Dutch basic health insurance. This policy has now changed.


As of 1 October 2018, international interns receiving at least the Dutch minimum wage that applies to their specific situation, are considered to be insured under the Dutch Health Insurance Act. This means they are legally required to take out Dutch basic health insurance. If the internship pay is less than this minimum wage, the interns are not allowed to take out a Dutch basic health insurance.


If the latter is the case, they can stay insured with the health insurer in their home country or take out a private international health insurance. Students from the EU/EEA may be eligible to receive a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) which covers their necessary medical costs during their stay. They are advised to check this with the health insurer in their home country before departure.

For the calculation of the minimum wage that applies to a specific situation, please see the following tool (only available in Dutch).


When you have any doubts, please send to us your working contract and we will check it for you.


Do I have to change my insurance when I start working for Flex Delft or have a job besides my study?
When you work for Flex Delft, for example as a teaching assistant, you always have to change to the Dutch basic health insurance. Even when you work only a few hours in the month. The Dutch basic health insurance has to start from the moment your employment contract starts.
Even if you are in a part-time job besides your study, for example when you work in a restaurant or shop, you need to change your insurance.
For more information or help, please send us an email.


How can I cancel the insurance?
Please send us an email with the reason for the cancelation of your insurance.
Please let us know the date you will leave the Netherlands. We will cancel your insurance on the day after you left, so you have coverage on the day you leave.


How can I pass on my bank account number/my (new) address?
You can upload your bank account number in the online environment of OOM Verzekeringen. You need your policy number to do this. You can find your policy number on your insurance card or insurance documents.

You can upload your bank account number and change your address in the online environment of OOM Verzekeringen. Most likely you already activated your account.

If not, you can do this using this link:

For registration, you need your policy number, which you find on your insurance card.


What happens if I do not pay the premium (on time)?
The insurance company will inform you that you missed a payment, please check your email spam folder.
Failure to pay the premium after the insurance company informed you about the missing payment will result in suspension of your insurance, resulting in lost coverage for medical costs.


Is International Insurances an insurance company?
International Insurances is powered by Heilbron. Heilbron is an insurance advisor and specialist in health insurances. We offer insurances from OOM, which is an insurance company.


How can I cancel my student insurance when I leave the Netherlands?
You can cancel your student insurance on this page.