Family Member

Almost every person who lives and works in the Netherlands is legally obliged to have a public health insurance (basic health insurance – “basisverzekering’’).


As you live in the Netherlands, as a family member of a student, employee, researcher or visitor you need to apply for the Dutch basic health insurance. (This applies also for your children.)


Your public health insurance will start on the date you are registered with the municipality (when you have received your BSN and residence permit, non-EU nationals). It is not uncommon that this process takes some time.

For this reason, we strongly advise you to take out a travel insurance for each family member.



The collective insurances through TU Delft

With comparing and choosing your health insurance, please ask yourself the following questions:


  • Do I opt for only the basic insurance, or do I also take an additional insurance?
  • Is it important to me that I have a complete freedom in choosing my health care provider?


Please contact International Insurances for personal advice at phone number 088 – 121 0 221 or send an e-mail to, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day! Our advisors will gladly assist you over the phone to find out which insurance suits you best. For the health insurance we offer packages of OHRA and Zilveren Kruis. Click on the logo of the insurance company below to check out the terms and conditions.

Are you from Europe and have an EHIC, which is still valid and active? Then a temporary health insurance is not necessary.


To apply for temporary health insurance please contact us.</strong


If you want to apply for the Dutch basic health insurance or when you have questions, please send an email to or give us a call, our phone number is 088 – 121 0 221.

It is always possible to make an appointment at the TU Delft.
You find us at the TU Delft every Thursday and Friday.
We are situated in building 30A, Education and Student Affairs.

Due to restrictions related to the Coronavirus we are unable to visit TU Delft in person. Please send to us an email ( or contact us by telephone: 088 – 121 0 221 for all your questions.

Frequently asked questions

I feel sick (nausea). What do I do? Who do I call or see?

In the Netherlands the first one to see, when you don’t feel well is a general practitioner (GP). He/she will advise you on what to do, look for the cause and suggest treatments. You need a referral from a general practitioner for medicines, a medical test or to see a specialist in the hospital.

Is International Insurances an insurance company?

International Insurances is powered by Heilbron. Heilbron is an insurance advisor and specialist in health insurances. We offer insurances from Insure To Study, which is an insurance company.

Other insurances

Unfortunately accidents do happen. To be protected against a variety of situations during your stay in the Netherlands other insurances might also be important. We certainly strongly advise you to be insured for liability. The financial complications could be enormous if someone is holding you accountable for damage you caused unintentionally.


Through the TU Delft you can not only benefit of a competitive premium but also of personal advice about the insurances below:


  • Car Insurance
  • Home insurance
  • Household content
  • Liability
  • Legal Assistance
  • Travel and cancellation insurance
  • Accidents
  • Valuables insurance

Please drop by the walking hours at the TU Delft or contact us by telephone (088 – 121 0 221) or e-mail ( for a free advice and offer.

Due to restrictions related to the Coronavirus we are unable to visit TU Delft in person. Please send to us an email ( or contact us by telephone: 088 – 121 0 221 for all your questions.

What else can you expect from International Insurances?

  • Walk-in hours and workshops
  • Competitive premium with excellent terms and conditions
  • Simple compare online or by telephone, calculate and apply
  • International Insurances helpdesk: 24/7 reachable for personal advice. A personal approach and no being on hold
  • One telephonenumber for all your questions and reporting your damage
  • Annual insurance check: does your coverage reflect your current situation?
  • Free damage recovery service